Professor of Geography and Director of the Centre for Urban Energy and Resilience
I undertake research in the domains of human geography, social environmental science, political ecology, architecture, urban planning, development, and welfare economics.
Much of my work has explored the socio-technical, economic and political dynamics implicated in the rise of fuel and energy poverty in developed and developing countries alike. I have also been interested in scientific efforts to unpack the manner in which household everyday practices are interwoven with the built fabric of inner-city areas. Underpinning much of my work is a desire to develop of innovative methods for conceptualising and representing space and territory.
I have published more than 70 publications (including several books) on these topics, having been involved in approximately 60 research projects funded by a range of research councils, charitable bodies and the European Union. I was awarded the Larkin, Scotched and Fullerton scholarships at the University of Oxford between 1999 and 2003.
I have held visiting university appointments in Prague, Bruges, Berlin, Stockholm, Brisbane and Turin, in addition to an ongoing Visiting Professorship in Economic Geography at the University of Gdansk.
The findings of my research have been taken up by the European Commission and Parliament, as well as a range of governmental organisations, including the World Bank, International Energy Agency and the World Health Organisation.
- Fracking, place and citizenship in contemporary Britain: The geography of uneven responses to proposed shale-gas development at Barton Moss, Salford;
- The social value of voids in urban space: a conceptualisation of emptiness within urban phenomena and the exemplary case of the Alameda de Hercules in Seville, Spain;
- Critical perspectives on the water-energy nexus: seawater desalination in San Diego and Baja California;
- Housing retrofits to achieve equitable carbon reductions;
- Sustainable housing: adoption and consumption of sustainable services and technologies.