Search type

School of Environment, Education and Development

Postgraduate research funding

The School receives money from a range of sources to help you fund your programme.

There are a range of awards on offer, covering tuition fees and a generous stipend, for students wishing to undertake postgraduate research study in the School of Environment, Education and Development. Application deadlines vary so please check the information below carefully.

Search for funding opportunities

Choose your country and programme of study to search our postgraduate research funding opportunities database.  Alternatively, you can view funding opportunities for all of our School's programmes.

Other funding opportunities

The following links provide a summary of, or further links to, information on sources of funding available for study at The University of Manchester:

UK/EU students

Doctoral loans for 2018/19

The UK government has confirmed that new doctoral loans will be available for those studying PhDs (and equivalent doctoral programmes) from 2018/19.

The loan will be for a maximum of £25,000 over the duration of the course.

UK nationals who are ordinarily resident in England, aged 59 or under, who are not already receiving funding via a UK Research Council, will be eligible. The government is currently considering making EU students eligible.

The loans will be available for all types of doctoral study (eg PhD, as well as all professional doctorates such as DBA, EdD), at all UK universities.

Additional information will be published to this page once further information has been confirmed by the UK government. A summary of the main features of the loan is available on

International students

China Scholarship Council

The China Scholarship Council (CSC) funds postgraduate scholarships annually to nationals of PR China who intend to study a PhD at The University of Manchester. The scholarship provides an annual maintenance grant for a period of up to three years subject to satisfactory academic progress. The CSC does not always provide funding support for tuition fees.

Commonwealth scholarships

The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission offer PhD scholarships to candidates seeking places at Universities within the UK. Awards under the scheme are not made by any central body. There are a number of scholarships available with the general scholarships open to Commonwealth citizens and British-protected persons permanently resident in any Commonwealth country other than the UK.  The scholarships are not restricted to any particular subject area, but applicants from developing countries must provide evidence that their proposed PhD study will be of future economic and/or social development to their home country.  For further information, please see the Commonwealth Scholarships website:


CONACyT funds postgraduate scholarships for Mexican nationals who intend to study a PhD at The University of Manchester. The eligibility criteria and value of these awards are variable, for further information please see the CONACyT website: 

UK research councils

UK Government

UK charities and trusts