PGCE Secondary Physics / Overview
Year of entry: 2018
- GTTR code
- Degree awarded
- PG Certificate in Education
- 10 Months. [Full-Time]
- Entry requirements
- Minimum 2:2 honours degree in a physical science, e.g. physics, mechanical or electrical engineering. At least half of your degree content should be strongly related to physics.
- Grade B in physics at A-level (or equivalent), or grade C if you can demonstrate sustained academic progression since A-level, and at least one other science or maths A-level.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics.
- How to apply
- To apply for a PGCE course at the University of Manchester you must apply through UCAS Teacher Training. Please visit the UCAS website for further details. Applications or CVs sent directly to the University will not be considered.
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
The course combines master's level academic study of science education with a range of school experiences. Approximately two-thirds of your time will be spent in our partnership schools and colleges developing your practical teaching skills with the support of trained science mentors and experienced teachers. When on placement, you will observe and teach classes under the guidance of an experienced science teacher mentor, improving your skills in planning, teaching and assessment.
Throughout the course you will learn:
- How to develop the confidence and competence of all pupils in thinking scientifically.
- How to teach and assess pupils' understanding of the different branches of science.
- How to help pupils to develop as independent and collaborative learners.
- How to use practical exercises, information communication and technology (ICT) and `the real world' in the teaching of science.
What our students say:
The course has been fantastic, the experience and most importantly the confidence I have developed whilst being on the PGCE is beyond anything I could have imagined. Yes it has been tough, but it has been completely worth it!
For more details on interviews, please visit our PGCE website .
Please see our open day pages for up-to-date information about forthcoming open days, taster sessions and twilight sessions
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2018, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK/EU students (per annum): £9,500
International students (per annum): £18,000
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1000 towards their tuition fees before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.
Generous, tax-free funding is available to the best graduates training in a range of subjects. You could get a £26,000 bursary or be awarded a prestigious scholarship - which provides additional support and benefits throughout your training year.
Information about additional funding options for September 2018 can be found on the Department for Education website
Home/EU students may be eligible for a repayable tuition fee loan. Home students in England may also be eligible for a repayable student maintenance loan. The loans support available to PGCE students is similar to what is available for undergraduate students and information about government financial support for undergraduate students is available here .
If you have graduated in the last three years from The University of Manchester with a 1st class honours degree, you may also be eligible for our Alumni Scholarship .
- Academic department
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- Contact name
- PGCE Admissions Administrator
- 0161 275 8468 OR 3617
- 0161 275 3528
- Academic department overview
See: The School .