Critical Pedagogies and Maths Education (CPME)
The research activity of our thematic research programme focuses on curriculum and pedagogy across the field of education from a critical perspective.
The many teachers and scholars active in this theme have close involvement in investigating and researching practices of learning, teaching and assessment.
There is an active interest in research in classroom practice, inquiry-based learning, and lesson study.
There are significant strengths in mathematics education, and interdisciplinary science and mathematics, but also significant projects related to technology, science, and English.
The theme also has strong theoretical interests, particularly in sociocultural and cultural-historical theory, and furthers its theoretical work through the Sociocultural Theory Interest Group.
This team also led on an Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) seminar series that interconnected their projects with wider concerns about critical pedagogies, developing a 'how things work' research agenda in education.
This underpins an emerging cluster of research around critical pedagogies from researchers across the Manchester Institute of Education (MIE).
- Financial literacy education project
- Process writing project
- HE STEM: Mathematical modelling and problem solving
- Keeping open the door to mathematically demanding programmes in further and higher education
- Mathematics learning, identity and educational practise: the transition into Higher Education
- Mathematics learning, identity and educational practise: the transition into post-compulsory education
- Mathematics Assessment for Learning and Teaching (MALT)
- Promoting participation and engagement in post-compulsory mathematics education for STEM reasoning
- Bibliotek i Endring (Changing Libraries)
- Social Theories of Learning: an advanced study programme for researchers (EDUC70500)
- Developing a 'how things work' research agenda in education
- Lesson study: Teacher education projects
- The Teacher Education Research Network (TERN)
- Workplace learning in teacher education