Previous education and experience
- BA (hons) French and History The University of Sheffield
- PGCE (MFL) Sheffield Hallam University
- MA Education (Teach First) The University of Manchester
- Senior Research Officer (Qualitative) at Teach First
An exploration into peer popularity in schools serving low socio-economic communities and how it maps onto online and offline experiences.
- Dave Hall
- Ruth McGinity
The research will develop our understanding of how female students in schools serving low-socioeconomic areas are affected by peer popularity. This will draw on concepts of femininity, identity, power and class to understand how social status manifests itself both online and offline contexts. I aim to conduct qualitative research using visual research methods, interviews and focus groups to understand student experience of popularity in an educational setting.
- Social media
- Digital sociology and anthropology
- Michel Foucault
- Judith Butler
- Visual research methods
- Presented at the ESRC Innovative Methods in Educational Inequality Conference November 2014. More details
- Heal, J.F., 'We only hold the keys to the gallery': research methods with children and young people', Warwick Exchanges Journal, April 2015. More details