Sample of publications related to the STL programme
The following are selected publications that authors have reported to be at least in part attributable to their participation in the programme:
- Bennett D, Solomon Y, Bergin C, Horgan M, & Dornan T. Figuring Doctor Identities. Submission to Advances in Health Sciences Education planned for 2014
- Choudry-Qasim, S. & Williams, J. (2012). A critical appraisal of Holland et al.’s (1998) appropriation of Bourdieu. Presented at ECER. Cadiz, Spain.
- Courtney, S. (under review) Post-Panopticism and school inspection in England. Submitted to the British Journal of Sociology of Education.
- Farnsworth VL; Higham JJS (2012) “'Teachers who teach their practice: the modulation of hybridised professional teacher identities in work-related educational programmes in Canada'”, Journal of Education and Work. 25.4: 473-505.
- Farnsworth, V. and Solomon, Y. (2013) Reframing Educational Research: Resisting the "What Works" Agenda. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Hernandez-Martinez, P. and Williams, J. (2013) Against the odds: resilience in mathematics students in transition. British Educational Research Journal, 39(1), 45 - 59.
- Hernandez-Martinez, P., Williams, J., Black, L., Davis, P., Pampaka, M. and Wake, G. (2011) Students’ views on their transition from School to College mathematics: rethinking “transition” as an issue of identity. Research in Mathematics Education, 13(2), 119 – 131.
- Hill, E. & Vaughan, S. (2013) The only girl in the room: how paradigmatic trajectories deter female students from surgical careers. Medical Education: 47(6) pp.547-556.
- Hill, EJR, Bowman, KA, Stalmeijer, RE, Solomon Y, Dornan T. (2014) Can I cut it? Medical students’ perceptions of surgeons and surgical careers. American Journal of Surgery (In press).
- Kislov, R. (2013). Boundary discontinuity in a constellation of interconnected practices: The case of a large-scale healthcare knowledge mobilization initiative. Public Administration(published online before print).
- Kislov, R. (2013). From a project team to a community of practice? An exploration of boundary and identity in the context of healthcare collaboration. In M. A. Keating, A. M. McDermott and K. Montgomery (Eds.) Patient-centred healthcare: Achieving co-ordination, communication and innovation. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kislov, R., Harvey, G., & Walshe, K. (2011). Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care: Lessons from the theory of communities of practice. Implementation Science, 6, 64.
- Kislov, R., Walshe, K., & Harvey, G. (2012). Managing boundaries in primary care service improvement: A developmental approach to communities of practice. Implementation Science, 7, 97.
- Kleanthous, I. (2013). Bourdieu applied: exploring perceived parental influence on students’ educational choices for studies in Higher Education. In M. Murphy (Ed.), Social theory and educational research: understanding Foucault, Habermas, Derrida and Bourdieu. London: Routledge.
- Omidvar, O. and Kislov, R. (2014) The Evolution of the Communities of Practice Approach: Toward Knowledgeability in a Landscape of Practice—An Interview with Etienne Wenger-Trayner. Journal of Management Inquiry (First published online before print, October 2013).
- Pampaka, M., Williams, J. & Wake, G. (2008). Statistical versus personal narratives of the effect of pedagogy on learning. Presented at Conference of International Society for Cultural and Activity Research. San Diego.
- Steven K, Wenger E, Boshuizen H, Scherpbier A, Dornan T. (2014) How clerkship students learn from real patients in workplaces. Acad Medicine In press
- Swanson, D., & Williams, J. (2014). Making abstract mathematics concrete in and out of school. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 86(2), 193-209.
- Vaughan, S. (2013) Medical students' experiences and achievement: the effect of ethnicity and social networks. Ph.D. University of Manchester, UK.
- Vaughan, S. & Dornan, T. (2014) Communities of Practice. In Cockerham, Dingwall & Quah (eds.) Encyclopaedia of Health, Illness, Behaviour & Society. Blackwell.
- Wenger-Trayner, E. (2013) The practice of theory: confessions of a social learning theorist. In Farnsworth, V. and Solomon, Y. (Eds.) Reframing Educational Research: Resisting the "What Works" Agenda. Routledge.