Society and Environment Research Group (SERG)
The Society and Environment Research Group (SERG) is a group of internationally recognised geography scholars at The University of Manchester.
Our research is focused on environment-society relations and we influence a wide range of social, political, and environmental contexts.
- Understanding and reducing people’s vulnerability to environmental insecurity;
- Identifying feasible and socially just means of altering systems of water supply, energy supply and everyday commodity provision;
- Unpacking and advancing the politics and practices of sustainability transitions in contemporary urban contexts;
- Theorising the society-nature nexus;
- Theorising and substantiating the urban process as a contested assemblage of entangled social and physical processes; and
- Interrogating the political and spatial challenges associated with on-going transformations of the global energy system in response to climate change and security challenges.
We aim to understand and change the way modern societies engage with natural and modified environments.
Find out more about the scholars and academic staff that make up SERG.