Our urban research work includes the analysis of spatial patterns of atmospheric and riverine pollutant concentrations and assessment of regulating urban ecosystem services.
We work in urban areas in the UK and overseas, with recent projects in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. Many of our projects are undertaken in collaboration with research users and in inter-disciplinary teams where we provide specialist inputs on urban physical geography, pollutant cycling, GIS and spatial analysis. Our research informs the development of environmental and climate adaptation measures and strategies.
Who we are
Clive Agnew (Group: EPRG)
Clive has interests in hydro-meteorological investigation of boundary layer fluxes, climatological analysis of the impacts of climate change and wetland evaporation.
Sarah Lindley (Group: EPRG)
Sarah has interests in Urban climate adaptation; urban ecosystem services, urban air quality; geospatial analysis of human-environment interactions impacting on human health and wellbeing; assessment of spatial patterns of risk and vulnerability.
James Rothwell (Group: EPRG)
James’ research is centred upon investigating the processes that control the enrichment and cycling of pollutants in catchment systems. His urban work considers the ecosystem services associated with green and blue infrastructure and their role in nutrient and metal cycling. Recent work has been focused around issues of urban diffuse pollution.
Current research projects
- Ecosystem services and disservices in urban Bangladesh and Tanzania. NERC, ESPA. James Rothwell, Clive Agnew, David Hulme, Adisa Azapagic, PI Manoj Roy (Lancaster)
- Tackling urban diffuse pollution using green infrastructure. EA and UU. Co-PI James Rothwell, Katherine Causer (EA), Steve Mangan and Matt Ryan (Salford City Council / Urban Vision), Tony Hothersall and Co-PI Pete Springer (Red Rose Forest)
- Roadside gully pots as hotspots of urban diffuse pollution. EA. PI James Rothwell, Katherine Causer and Paul Simmons (EA) and Mike Savage (Red Rose Forest)
- EU CLimate Change and Urban Vulnerability in Africa (CLUVA). Sarah Lindley, Clive Agnew, Gina Cavan, Susannah Gill
- Justice, Vulnerability & Climate Change: An Integrated Framework (Joseph Rowntree Foundation). Sarah Lindley, Aleksandra Kazmierczak, Angela Connelly.
- INTERREG Green and Blue Space Adaptation for Urban Areas and Eco Towns (GRaBS).
- Identification and verification of Ultrafine Particle affinity zones in urban neighbourhoods – a proof of concept study. Sarah Lindley, Paul Harris
- EPSRC Sustainable Cities: Options for Responding to Climate Change Impacts and Outcomes (SCORCHIO).
- EPSRC Adaptation Strategies for Climate Change in the Urban Environment (ASCCUE).
- EU ESCAPE