Search type

School of Environment, Education and Development

international students talking outside

International students

We receive hundreds of applications per year from prospective international students for our undergraduate and postgraduate courses and research programmes.

Entry requirements

We receive a lot of applications from all over the globe from talented students. To help us make the most informed decision possible, we need to know who you are.

Your personal statement is the opportunity to tell us why you want to study in the UK, and even more so why at Manchester and our School in particular. Explain to us how you are going to use your degree when you return to your home country. This is your chance to tell us about anything you’ve done before that adds to your application; for example work experience or prizes. Let us know what you can bring to our community.

Find your country on the University’s country-specific information web pages. This is a great starting point for understanding how we will view your specific academic qualifications. If in doubt, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Find out more

Language requirements

This may vary from course to course, or whether you’re applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree. We accept a wide range of Secure English Language tests (SELTs), and in some cases, school or university qualifications from your home country, as proof of your language competency.

If you don’t quite reach our language requirements, we might be able to offer you a pre-sessional language course at the University Language Centre. The length of the course is dictated by how much you need to improve your language scores in the test you have taken. If this is an option for you, talk to our admissions team.

Find out more


Please read the University’s detailed advice on Tier 4 visas before starting any processes. Be aware that we might need to ask you some additional questions before we can issue you with a CAS to apply for your visa.

If you’ve studied in the UK before, you might need to explain to us how the course you’ve applied for represents academic progression from your previous course. So, for example, if you’ve already studied for an undergraduate degree in Town Planning and you’re applying for Architecture, you’ll need to talk to us about why you’ve followed this path at University.

You should try to explain this in your personal statement as part of your application. If you need to discuss this with us, contact our admissions team for advice.

Find out more

Web chats

We understand that for many international candidates it is impossible to visit Manchester before applying or starting your studies, and we don’t want you to miss out on the opportunity to find out more about the campus or ask questions of our professional admissions staff and our lecturers.

Because of this, we hold web chats where you can put your questions about Manchester, our School and the course you want to apply for with staff from the School, whether your questions are about the curriculum, or how you find somewhere to live. We advertise our web chats online – watch the front page of this website for further information or contact us for details of the next chat.