PGCE Primary School Direct 5-11 / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2018
Academic entry qualification overview
- A 2:1 or above honours degree in a non-vocational subject. Vocational subjects may be considered in some circumstances.
- Applicants with a 2:2 honours degree may be considered but must be able to demonstrate evidence of higher academic attainment, e.g., through postgraduate study.
- Two A-levels at grade C or above in non-vocational subjects.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language, mathematics and science, plus GCSE grade C in at least three other non-vocational subjects.
- Applicants must have spent at least 5 days observing primary teaching following a UK orientated curriculum prior to attending interview.
- References which support the suitability of the candidate for teaching
- A personal statement
A personal statement should make clear:
- The candidate's commitment to and enthusiasm for teaching;
- their rationale for applying to be a teacher in their subject;
- an awareness of the role and responsibilities of the teacher;
- relevant experience suggesting suitability for the role;
- a good standard of written English.
In addition to a grade of C at GCSE in English Language, applicants whose first language is not English are required to meet the following language requirements:
IELTS 6.5 overall, 6.5 in writing, no sub-section below 6.0, or
TOEFL iBT overall score of 90 with a minimum score of 22 in writing and 20 in the other sub-sections, or
Pearson PTE overall score of 62 with a minimum score of 62 in writing and 55 in the other sub-sections, or
Cambridge CAE grade A or Cambridge CPE grade C (please note that the Cambridge First Certificate in English is not acceptable).
English language test validity
Other international entry requirements
Relevant work experience
You are expected to have completed at least five days' observation experience in a primary school following a relevant UK-orientated curriculum prior to attending interview. This experience should normally have been completed within the last three years.
Proposed/actual dates and venue(s) for experience must be clearly stated in the work experience section of your UCAS application form.