PGCE Secondary English / Overview
Year of entry: 2018
- GTTR code
- Degree awarded
- 10 months
- Entry requirements
- A second or first class honours degree in English Literature, English Language, Linguistics or a joint honours degree with at least 50% of these subjects. Applicants with degrees in other English-related subjects may also be considered in some circumstances.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics.
- References which support the suitability of the candidate for teaching
- A personal statement
A personal statement should make clear:
- The candidate's commitment to and enthusiasm for teaching;
- their rationale for applying to be a teacher in their subject;
- an awareness of the role and responsibilities of the teacher;
- relevant experience suggesting suitability for the role;
- a good standard of written English.
- Number of places/applicants
- 30 / 400
- How to apply
- To apply for a PGCE course at the University of Manchester you must apply through UCAS Teacher Training. Please visit the UCAS website for further details. Applications or CVs sent directly to the University will not be considered.
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
This course will train you to teach secondary English in the UK, including the National Curriculum, GCSE and A level. It also includes drama, media and information and communication technology. Completion of the 10 month course leads to both a postgraduate qualification and qualified teacher status (QTS).
Your University tutors and school/college mentors will help you to transform your subject knowledge into teaching skills and educational theory into practice. University tutors have substantial experience of teaching and of examining at a senior level for GCSE and AS/A level.
We also use the expertise of experienced teachers from our partnership schools to complement the teaching of University-based sessions. This includes sessions led by subject mentors, who will help you develop your subject knowledge and provide advice about teaching methods. The University-based sessions will give you creative and innovative ideas to take into the classroom.
What our students say:
The PGCE in Secondary English at The University of Manchester is nothing short of life changing. Professionally, you will develop your existing qualities and learn invaluable skills from peers, colleagues and tutors. However, this course offers something more; you are encouraged to embrace and express your own teaching ethos throughout the course. Prepare to be challenged, nurtured and inspired to do something more with your love of English.
For more details on interviews, please visit our PGCE website .
Please see our open day pages for up-to-date information about forthcoming open days, taster sessions and twilight sessions.
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2018, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK/EU students (per annum): £9,250
International students (per annum): £18,000
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1000 towards their tuition fees before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.
Generous, tax-free funding is available to the best graduates training in a range of subjects. You could get a bursary of up to £15,000.
Information about additional funding options for September 2018 can be found on the Department for Education website
Home/EU students may be eligible for a repayable tuition fee loan. Home students in England may also be eligible for a repayable student maintenance loan. The loans support available to PGCE students is similar to what is available for undergraduate students and information about government financial support for undergraduate students is available here .
If you have graduated in the last three years from The University of Manchester with a 1st class honours degree, you may also be eligible for our Alumni Scholarship .
- Academic department
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- Contact name
- PGCE Admissions Administrator
- 0161 275 8468 OR 3617
- +44 (0)161 275 3528
- Academic department overview
See: The School .