PGCE Secondary English / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2018
Academic entry qualification overview
- A second or first class honours degree in English Literature, English Language, Linguistics or a joint honours degree with at least 50% of these subjects. Applicants with degrees in other English-related subjects may also be considered in some circumstances.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics.
- References which support the suitability of the candidate for teaching
- A personal statement
A personal statement should make clear:
- The candidate's commitment to and enthusiasm for teaching;
- their rationale for applying to be a teacher in their subject;
- an awareness of the role and responsibilities of the teacher;
- relevant experience suggesting suitability for the role;
- a good standard of written English.
In addition to a grade of C at GCSE in English Language, applicants whose first language is not English are required to meet the following language requirements:
IELTS 6.5 overall, 6.5 in writing, no sub-section below 6.0, or
TOEFL iBT overall score of 90 with a minimum score of 22 in writing and 20 in the other sub-sections, or
Pearson PTE overall score of 62 with a minimum score of 62 in writing and 55 in the other sub-sections, or
Cambridge CAE grade A or Cambridge CPE grade C (please note that the Cambridge First Certificate in English is not acceptable).
English language test validity
Relevant work experience
We recommend that applicants spend at least two days observing teaching in a Secondary school or sixth form college prior to attending an interview, however this is not mandatory.