PGCE Secondary Mathematics / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2018
Academic entry qualification overview
- Minimum 2:2 honours degree in mathematics or some other subjects with a 50% mathematics component (such as some engineering or physics)
- Applicant who do not have a substantial amount (50% minimum) of mathematics in their degree may be eligible for a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course provided they have either an A level in mathematics at grade B or above.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics.
References which support the suitability of the candidate for teaching
- A personal statement
A personal statement should make clear:
- The candidate's commitment to and enthusiasm for teaching;
- their rationale for applying to be a teacher in their subject;
- an awareness of the role and responsibilities of the teacher;
- relevant experience suggesting suitability for the role;
- a good standard of written English.
In addition to a grade of C at GCSE in English Language, applicants whose first language is not English are required to meet the following language requirements:
IELTS 6.5 overall, 6.5 in writing, no sub-section below 6.0, or
TOEFL iBT overall score of 90 with a minimum score of 22 in writing and 20 in the other sub-sections, or
Pearson PTE overall score of 62 with a minimum score of 62 in writing and 55 in the other sub-sections, or
Cambridge CAE grade A or Cambridge CPE grade C (please note that the Cambridge First Certificate in English is not acceptable).