All students, staff and researchers have access to our brand-new, state-of-the-art physical geography laboratories.
Our laboratories are equipped with a wide spectrum of high-end environmental analytical instrumentation.
For detailed information about our laboratory, field, sampling and analytical equipment, see the Geography Laboratories blog.
Most practical sessions take place in this laboratory, which can accommodate up to 50 students.
We have a large range of high-grade, research-quality microscopes.
These are used for sample preparation, including ovens, furnaces and ball mills.
Other equipment housed in our laboratories includes:
- C-H-N-S-O Analyser
- TOC (Total Organic Carbon)
- Magnetic susceptibility instrumentation
- Microwave digester
- Laser granulometer
This laboratory houses:
- ICP-MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometer)
- ICP-OES (Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectrometer)
This houses facilities for the analysis of a wide range of major and trace elements. Equipment includes:
- Itrax core scanner - one of only three UK based instruments
- Benchtop XRF
- Portable Niton XRF