Careers and employability
Our graduates are in high demand in a range of jobs in private, public and non-governmental sectors.
In fact, more than 90% of Planning and Environmental Management graduates are in positive graduate destinations, according to the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) 2015-16.
The University’s award winning Careers Service provides considerable support to our students.
In addition, Planning and Environmental Management provides bespoke support to students in their search for future employment, ranging from advice on interview techniques to CV writing.
Most importantly, we organise our own annual careers fair with employers from planning, real estate and environmental assessment and management.
With a history of planning education that goes back decades, we enjoy strong professional links with planners, urban development professionals and environmental managers, particularly in the vibrant city of Manchester. These links with practitioners benefit our students in many ways, including:
- placements and client-based studies
- networking opportunities
- links for possible employment.
The range of careers open to you as a graduate of our courses is enormously broad. For example, many of our recent graduates have gone into:
- consultancy work
- environmental management positions in the water, energy and industrial sectors
- policy roles in urban and regional development
- real estate and property management
- urban planning in both the private and public sectors
- urban design.
We host numerous events throughout the year to boost the employability of our students. Forthcoming examples for 2017-18 include:
- 6 February, 2018 - Meet the Professionals (with the Faculty of Humanities)
- 7 March, 2018 - Careers Event (with Geography)
- Phil Bell - Employability Lead, Planning and Environmental Management
- Philip Black - Employability Lead, Urban Design
- Selma Carson - Employability Lead, Real Estate
- Anna Gilchrist - Employability Lead, Environmental Management
- Carys Jones - Employability Lead, Planning and Environmental Management