Bursaries and scholarships
Find out if you are eligible for one of our scholarships or bursaries.
Department for Education (DfE) bursaries
The DfE can support you in funding your PGCE studies if you meet certain criteria. They are designed to contribute towards living costs and are paid in instalments throughout your course.
However, funding opportunities vary by course.
Find out more
- PGCE Primary Merit Award: We will be awarding three £2,000 bursaries to students based on their academic achievements. All applicants holding an offer by August 2018 will be automatically considered.
- PGCE Secondary Business Education, and PGCE Secondary Economics and Business Education: All trainees will receive a £400 bursary after completing registration in 2018.
The PGCE bursaries do not apply to the School Direct application routes.
The Alumni Scholarship
The Alumni Scholarship offers eligible applicants a £1,000 reduction in tuition fees.
It is a means of supporting our outstanding graduates who wish to progress to a PGCE having completed their undergraduate degree with us.
It is available to applicants to a PGCE course who:
- are University of Manchester graduates;
- are international, EU or home students who will study full-time, part-time or by distance learning;
- are applying within three years of receiving their degree;
- have received First Class honours degrees.
You do not need to apply for this scholarship separately. You will be automatically considered on the basis of your application for the course.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will be awarded the scholarship automatically. Any scholarship awarded will be applied as a reduction in the annual tuition fee for the course, rather than as a cash payment.
Our Primary PGCE will prepare you to teach ages 5 to 11 and incorporates Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Our PGCE Secondary course is one of the leading teacher training programmes in the UK.