School of Environment, Education and Development Postgraduate Research Studentships 2024 Entry
Type of award
School of Environment, Education and Development
- Tuition fees
- An annual maintenance stipend (£18,622 per annum for 2023/24)
Please note that existing postgraduate research students cannot be considered for this funding.
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
A number of awards are available on a competitive basis.
This award is internal.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- International Development
- Planning, Property and Environmental Management
- Bachelor's (Honours) degree at 2:1 or above (or overseas equivalent); and
- Master's degree in a relevant subject - with an overall average of 60% or above, a minimum mark of 60% in your dissertation (or overseas equivalent)
This funding is available to all nationalities.
Other eligibility criteria
Acceptable evidence includes:
- IELTS test minimum score - 7.0 overall, 7.0 in writing, 6.0 in other sections.
- TOEFL (internet based) test minimum score - 100 overall, 25 in all sections.
- To demonstrate that you have taken an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a majority English speaking nation within the last 5 years.
- Other tests may be considered.
You must submit your online application for a place on your chosen Postgraduate Research programme by 19 January 2024. Your programme application should contain all necessary supporting documents.
Section 9 of the application asks for your funding intentions. In this section, you should detail fully all the competitions in which you would like to be considered. There is no limit to the number of competitions you may enter, but all must be detailed in your online application form to ensure you are included. Please add a funding source, and populate the fields as below:
- Type of Funding: Uni of Manchester Scheme
- Awarding Body (free text): SEED School Studentships
- Status of Funding: Intend to Apply
Please note that there is no separate funding application form for School of Environment, Education and Development Studentships. All decisions are based on the online programme application and supporting documents.
- A 1,500 word PhD research proposal. Please state the word count on page 1 of the document
- Copies of the academic transcript and certificate from both your Bachelor's and Master's degrees. If your Master's degree is pending, please provide an interim transcript
- An up to date academic CV, detailing your education and qualifications; employment history; publications; and any other relevant information
- You must nominate two academic referees (including one from your most recent institution). Your referees will be contacted directly via the Referee Portal following submission of your application form.
- International applicants must additionally provide English Language evidence (e.g IELTS)
- Academic merit and preparedness for research
- Quality and feasibility of research proposal
- Consideration of ethical responsibility
19 Jan 2024
Please note that this is a strict deadline and late or incomplete applications will not be included in the competition.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide feedback on individual applications, as outcomes are determined by independent panels.
Contact details for enquiries
- Humanities Doctoral Academy Admissions
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 1200